The Alaska National Guard welcomes the opportunity to connect with the Alaskan communities to provide a better understanding about the mission and capabilities of the Army and Air National Guard, but participation in community events has to be balanced with maintaining a high state of readiness for both state and federal missions.
Alaska Army and Air National Guard units lock down their training schedules 90 days in advance, so all requests for participation in community events must be received 120 days before the event is scheduled to take place.
Department of Defense policies require that Armed Forces participation in public events will be provided at no additional cost to the Government
The following requests CANNOT be supported:
- Fundraising events
- Support for or during sectarian events or on church property when related to a religious activity
- Events that charge an entry fee or are closed to the public
- Events detrimental to the interests or values of the Armed Forces
- Events that directly or indirectly endorse, selectively benefit, or favor any private individual, sect, fraternal organization, political group, commercial venture, or is associated with solicitation of votes in a political election
- Equipment requests or participation that compete with local businesses
- Events that restrict admission, seating and other accommodations or facilities with regard to race, creed, sex, or national origin
The following support can be requested as noted:
Aerial Support Requests
In order to request an aircraft flyover, or an aircraft static display, you must thoroughly complete a DD Form 2535
. You must have the form:
- Completed and signed by the sponsoring organization
- Certified (and signed) by the event site owner
- Approved by the local Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Flight Standards District Office (FSDO)
- Submit the form per the instructions below
Requests should be completed, signed, approved by the FAA and submitted per the instructions below at least 90 days and no later than 30 days in advance of the event. Incomplete forms and requests will not be considered. The Air Force and Army determine whether the event is eligible for support.
FAA coordination is required prior to submission
FAA approval must be obtained for all U.S. aerial events except aircraft static displays before submitting your request. Find your area FAA FSDO's address in your local white pages under Government or via the Federal Aviation Administration.
Submitting your request
Requests for Air National Guard assets should be submitted directly to the Air Force via Air Force Aerial Events. Requests for Army National Guard assets should be submitted to your State Public Affairs Office. Requests should be submitted at least 90 days and no later than 30 days prior to the scheduled event.
Securing aviation assets after receiving approval
It is the requestor's responsibility to coordinate actual participation of National Guard flying units once your event has been determined eligible for support. Please contact Alaska National Guard Public Affairs Office to determine whether units are available to support your event after your event has been approved.
Things to keep in mind
Aircraft participation is at no additional cost to the U.S. Government and on a non-interference basis with Department of Defense missions. Therefore, military contingencies and training requirements may preclude event participation at the last minute.
Additionally, patriotic events that are free and open to the public and those events designed to enhance Armed Forces recruiting and retention efforts have a higher likelihood of being approved by the Department of Defense. If your event falls within both or either of these categories please state so on your DD Form 2535
with a detailed explanation.
Aviation support or participation may be cancelled by the U.S. Government without notice.
Non-Aviation Asset Requests
Non-aviation Alaska National Guard assets include color/honor guards, exhibits and speakers.
The Alaska National Guard is able to support broad based civic organizations or organizations whose primary purpose is to stimulate patriotism, promote public understanding of the necessity of national security, or foster public appreciation of our national heritage, and not promote the organization's private objectives. All events must be open to the entire community. The event must not promote the partisan, fraternal or commercial objectives of the organization itself.
Department of Defense regulations and policies require that participation in community events will be provided on a non-interference basis to the military mission at no additional cost to the U.S. Government. Therefore, the sponsor must bear the cost of lodging and meals for all participants and for other services which have been determined in advance and agreed to by the sponsor.
In order to request non-aviation assets, complete and sign a DD Form 2536
: Request for Armed Forces Participation in Public Events.
Submit the form to the Alaska National Guard Public Affairs Office no more than 90 days and no less than 30 days in advance of the scheduled event. Complete and sign the form prior to submission.
Download either the DD Form 2535
or the DD Form 2536
and provide the information requested on the appropriate form. Before submitting, please review the list of activities above that cannot be supported and be sure you request is submitted 90 days in advance.
- Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Allow at least one week for an initial review of the request, and the Alaska National Guard Public Affairs Office will provide a response and update on the review.
- If approved, the request will be submitted to the unit that will take part in the event, and they will coordinate the additional details.
- If the request cannot be supported, you will receive an email notification.
For additional information please contact the Alaska National Guard Public Affairs Office by e-mail at email@example.com