Chief Master Sergeant Winfield S. Hinkley Jr. serves as the Command Senior Enlisted Leader of the Alaska National Guard. He serves as a special staff advisor to the Adjutant General on all matters affecting the enlisted force and their families. He represents the highest level of enlisted leadership and oversees the combat readiness, health, welfare, development and quality of life for more than 4,100 assigned Air Force and Army personnel across the state of Alaska.
Chief Hinkley entered the Air Force in August 1992 and advanced throughout his career as a Materiel Management craftsmen. He supported multiple major commands through his 27 years of service and ten assignments, providing contingency supply support during Operation SOUTHERN WATCH, Operation ODYSSEY DAWN, Operation IRAQI FREEDOM, Operation NEW DAWN and multiple missions supporting Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. He also has provided logistical assistance to top Department of Defense personnel completing missions to the Air Force’s Central Command. Chief Hinkley has served as an Enlisted Professional Military Education instructor during his tenure as well as at the flight, squadron and national leadership levels while holding three Air Force Specialty Codes. Chief Hinkley transitioned to the Alaska Air National Guard in 2013 and has been an integral member of the wing and the Air National Guard in operational support, leadership and professional development of all members. Prior to his current position, Chief Hinkley was assigned to the Air National Guard Readiness Center’s Statutory Tour program where he served as the 15th Commandant of the CMSgt Paul H. Lankford Enlisted Professional Military Education Center at McGhee Tyson Air National Guard base in Knoxville Tennessee.
1998 Airman Leadership School, Kapaun Air Station, Germany
1999 Associate Degree, Logistics Management, Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)
2004 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Robins Air Force Base (AFB), Ga.
2005 Associate Degree, Instructor in Technology, CCAF, Maxwell-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2007 Bachelor’s Degree, Business Management, Wayland Baptist University, Plain View, Texas
2008 Occupational Instructor Certification, Curriculum Delivery, CCAF
2009 Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education I, Joint Forces Staff College Norfolk Va,
2011 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2012 Professional Manager’s Certificate, CCAF, Maxwell-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2013 Master of Business Administration/Management, Webster University, St. Louis, Mo.
2013 Logistics Readiness Senior Noncommissioned Officer Course, by correspondence
2014 Contemporary Base Issues Course, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (JBER), Alaska
2015 Leadership Challenge Program Level 1, JBER, Alaska
2016 Air National Guard Chief Executive Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md
2018 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II, Joint Forces Staff College Norfolk Va,
2018 Air National Guard Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
2019 Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Incident Management Suite, Anchorage, Alaska
2019 Defense Support for Civil Authorities (DSCA) I, by correspondence
2019 Keystone, National Defense University, Arlington, Va.
2019 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Alan L. Freed & Associates, Washington DC
2020 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC,
2021 INDOPACOM Regional Seminar, Alan L. Freed & Associates, Washington DC
2021 Defense Support for Civil Authorities (DSCA) II, virtual
1. March 1993–March 1995, Inventory Management Apprentice, 18th Logistics Readiness Squadron (LRS), Kadena Air Base (AB), Japan (April 1994, Supply Technician, Anderson AFB, Guam; Nov 1994, Supply NCOIC, Osan AB,South Korea)
2. April 1995–April 1999, Inventory Management Craftsman, 86th LRS, Ramstein AB, Germany (February-May 1996, NCOIC Supply Customer Service, King Abdulaziz AB, Saudi Arabia)
3. April 1999–April 2000, Inventory Management Craftsman, 52nd LRS, Osan AB, South Korea
4. April 2000–July 2004, Inventory Management Craftsman, 437th LRS, Charleston AFB, S.C. (January-July 2003, Shift NCOIC Rhein Main Air Base, Germany; Nov 2004, Camp Bonsteel, Kosovo; May 2004, Supply Lead, Asgabat Airport, Turkmenistan)
5. July 2004–July 2008, EPME Instructor, 3d Wing, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska (Oct-Nov 2007, Instructor, Kadena AB, Japan)
6. July 2008–March 2012, Materiel Management Craftsman-QA, 92nd LRS, Fairchild AFB, Wash. (January-May 2010, NCOIC Aircraft Parts Store, Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan; March-July 2011, Supply Lead, Moron Air Base, Spain)
7. March 2012–March 2013, Materiel Management-Flight Chief, 379th LRS, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
8. March 2013–July 2013, Materiel Management-Flight Chief, 92nd LRS, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
9. July 2013–April 2015, Materiel Management-Flight Chief, 176th LRS, JBER, Alaska
10. April 2015–November 2016, Squadron Superintendent, 176th LRS, JBER, Alaska
11. November 2016–July 2017, Comptroller Flight Superintendent, 176th Wing, JBER, Alaska
12. July 2017–July 2018, Commandant, Chief Master Sgt. Paul H. Lankford Enlisted Professional Military Education Center, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
13. August 2018–Present, Alaska National Guard Command Senior Enlisted Leader, JBER, Alaska
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
2001 & 2002 437th LRS Senior Supply Technician of the Year
2006 Elmendorf Enlisted Professional Military Education Center NCO of the Year
2008 & 2010 92nd Logistics Readiness Squadron Senior NCO of the Year
2011 Distinguished Graduate, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy
2012 379th Logistics Readiness Squadron SNCO of the Year
2014 176th Logistics Readiness Squadron SNCO of the Year
2014 Air National Guard Logistics Readiness SNCO of the Year
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Enlisted Association of the National Guard of Alaska (Treasurer), 2012-present
Toastmasters International, Club President, 2012-2013 & 2015-2016
Air Force Sergeants Association (Lifetime), 2018-present
American Legion member, 2016-present
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic Aug. 1992
Airman First Class June 1994
Senior Airman Aug. 1995
Staff Sergeant May 1999
Technical Sergeant June 2003
Master Sergeant Dec. 2007
Senior Master Sergeant Dec. 2011
Chief Master Sergeant June 2015
(Current as of March 2021)