Col. James Palembas serves as Commander, Alaska Army National Guard and Assistant Adjutant General. He joined the Alaska Army National Guard in 1990 as an enlisted Soldier assigned as a telecommunications center operator. He competed in the Soldier of the Year competition in 1993 and took it up to the National Guard Bureau where he scored second in the Nation.
He was the first from Alaska National Guard to attend the State Officer Candidate School program and took his commission in 1994. He last served as the Chief of Staff, AKARNG, State Logistics Officer (G4), 761st MP Battalion Commander, Maintenance Branch Chief, BDE S4, Brigade Support Company Commander, JFHQ Commander, Battalion S1, Maintenance Company Commander, and numerous staff positions.
Col. Palembas deployed in 2006-2007 to Operation Enduring Freedom in RC South, in Afghanistan as the Support Logistics Officer. Upon redeployment, he worked in the G3 as the Force Integration Readiness Officer to assist with the state force structure transformation.
His professional affiliations include the Alaska National Guard Officers Association, a national certification in rehabilitation counseling and a national certification in vocational evaluation.
• Army War College Department of Distance Education program
• Master of Science, Utah State University
• Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice, University of Alaska Fairbanks
1. Maintenance Company Commander
2. Battalion S1
3. JFHQ Commander
4. Brigade Support Company Commander
5. Maintenance Branch Chief
6. 761st MP Battalion Commander
7. State Logistics Officer
8. Chief of Staff, AKARNG
MAJOR AWARDS & DECORATIONS:
• Bronze Star
• Meritorious Service Medal
• Army Commendation Medal x2
• Army Achievement Medal
• Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal x4
• National Defense Service Medal x2
• Afghanistan Campaign Medal
• Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
• Armed Forces Reserve Medal with “M” device
• NATO Medal Army Service Ribbon
• Overseas Service Ribbon
• Alaska Commendation Medal x3
• Alaska Humanitarian Medal
• Alaska Community Service Medal
• Alaska State Service Medal