Maj. Gen. Torrence W. Saxe is the Adjutant General, Alaska National Guard and the Commissioner, Alaska Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. As the adjutant general, he is the senior military advisor to the governor of Alaska and commander of the Alaska National Guard, responsible for overseeing the training and readiness of 3,900 Airmen and Soldiers. He also oversees the Alaska State Defense Force, Alaska Naval Militia, Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Veterans Affairs Office, and Alaska Military Youth Academy. General Saxe is the official liaison between the state and federal Department of Veterans Affairs, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, and all military forces in Alaska.
General Saxe entered the Air Force in 1995 as a distinguished graduate of the Officer Training School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama. General Saxe joined the Alaska Air National Guard in 2004, serving as commander of the 213th Space Warning Squadron and the 13th Space Warning Squadron. As the 13th Space Warning Squadron commander, he was the Federal Installation Commander. He also served as the commander of the 168th Wing, Eielson AFB, Alaska. Prior to his current position, General Saxe was the commander of the Alaska Air National Guard, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska.
Prior to his current position, General Saxe was the commander of the 168th Wing, Eielson AFB, Alaska.
- 1993 Bachelor of Arts, Government, Eastern Washington University, Cheney, Wash. Summa Cum Laude
- 2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence and residence
- 2002 Master of Arts, Air Warfare, American Military University, Manassas, Va.
- 2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
- 2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2013 Master of Arts, Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2013 Joint Professional Military Education Phase II, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- November 1995 ‐ October 1999, ICBM Officer and Instructor, 341st Missile Wing, Malmstrom AFB,Montana
- October 1999 ‐ October 2000, Chief Operations Training, Chief of Standardization/Evaluation, 13 SWS, Clear AFS, Alaska
- October 2000 ‐ May 2002, Commander, Detachment 1, 21st Operations Group, RAF Feltwell, United Kingdom
- May 2002 ‐ July 2003, Executive Officer, 21st Operations Group, Peterson AFB, Colorado
- July 2003 ‐ April 2004, Space and Missile Assignments Officer, HQ Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colorado
- Apr 2004 ‐ June 2006, Chief Standardization/Evaluation, Operations Officer, Commander, 213 SWS, Clear AFS, Alaska
- June 2006 ‐ August 2008, Operations Officer, 213 SWS, Clear AFS, Alaska
- August 2008 ‐ June 2011 Commander, 213 SWS, Clear AFS, Alaska
- June 2011 ‐ June 2012, Commander 13th Space Warning Squadron, Clear AFS, Alaska
- June 2012 ‐ May 2013, Resident Student Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
- May 2013 ‐ November 2014, Commander 176th Maintenance Group, Joint Base Elmendorf‐Richardson, Alaska
- November 2014 ‐ November 2015, Vice Commander 168th Air Refueling Wing, Eielson AFB, Alaska
- November 2015 ‐ June 2018, Commander 168th Wing, Eielson AFB, Alaska
- June 2018 ‐ December 2018, Commander Alaska Air National Guard, Joint Base Elmendorf‐Richardson, Alaska
- December 2018 ‐ Present; The Adjutant General, Alaska, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
MAJOR AWARDS & DECORATIONS:
- Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
- Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
- Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze stars
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with "N" Device
- Army Service Ribbon
- Kuwait Liberation Medal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
- Second Lieutenant, March 1995
- First Lieutenant, March 1997
- Captain, March 1999
- Major, November 2004
- Lieutenant Colonel, February 2009
- Colonel, December 2013
- Brigadier General, December 2018
- Major General, August 2019